Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Water, Water Everywhere!

So yesterday morning was a 'no-go' on the workout and perhaps it just alluded to the horrific evening. That evening after school my plan was to work on my National Boards and be home about sevenish. The plan is to do this every Tuesday until I'm done. Really, these Boards seem daunting, but it is just about writing about what you are teaching and why you are teaching it. I hope that they go well, but I refuse to let them 'take over' my life like I know many people allow to happen. Regardless, I was at school. I get this seemingly meaningless text from Tom, "We have water problems". No picture, no call, no problem-- right?! Not a chance. We utilized the 'Face Time' on the iPhones and Tom showed me the house and I immediately closed my laptop and out the door I went. I prefer the Apple commercials showing how a loved one is able to see their dear old Grandma, not the gape-ing hole in your kitchen ceiling...

So, on my way out the door I get an email from my brother to review his resume, yet again. I swear you'd think that was my job... oh wait, it is. Anyways, I called him to ask about it and we visited on the way back to Hayti. He told me he'd call his friend Derek, if all else fails, to help out. I really figured it wasn't going to be THAT bad... (here is the dum, dum, dum... sound alluding to impending doom...)


This is what I walk up to, I'm thinking hmm... the dryer usually doesn't melt snow all the way over here... oh wait, there is only like ONE INCH of snow... WHERE DID THIS COME FROM? This is all over the screen door too... 

As I walk in the house, it doesn't look too bad at first as Tom has cleaned up the fallen ceiling into a nice little pile with the broom (which now I will have to throw out, but, nevermind that.)


Yep, that is the back room full of water on the floor from the GUSHING that I missed. Tom shut off the water and moved the coat rack and my two pair of boots that are still soaked out of the way before I got there. Luckily it didn't go as far as the deep freeze FULL of beef and short that out. That would have been horrible! (Because, you know, this really isn't... *insert sarcasm)


So, that is Tom trying to see how soft the wall is, as you can see... epic fail on the ceiling staying on the ceiling. That door is where you go down into the basement and progress to see a lot more water. It was just depressing. We really don't have a clue how it all happened. Neither of us are plumbers or mechanics or carpenters, so we are pretty much left up to the insurance adjuster's mercy. Luckily, lil' bro works with a friend that will come over tonight and look at it and help us out. I called the insurance company, filed a claim and they said that they cannot be there until January 30th. That is really not acceptable. I love my folks, but I don't want to live in their basement unless absolutely necessary. We stayed there last night, which was okay. Tom and Leah got to choose from the 5 different kinds of ice cream, 1 choice of frozen yogurt and 1 choice of sherbert for their supper. I did have a few bites of frozen yogurt, but kept with an oreo for dessert after some impromptu cottage cheese and blackberry salad mixture.

Anyways, Leah thought it was a fun adventure to have a sleepover at Grandma and Grandpa Stormos.... Tom and I, well, we didn't see it the same as her. I will keep optimistic, though. There is a chance this will help Tom realize that it's not THAT scary to build a house in the country. We can do it... it will work out. :) As much as I give him a hard time, at least he is conservative with finances and I appreciate that. He will never let us do too much and he always is counting pennies. I appreciate it.

Well, I did also figure out the DVD player in the basement and brought my Jillian Michels kettlebell workout and the 10 lb kettlebell. I was up at 5am, hit the snooze and rolled out of bed at 5:15 am to do the routine. So, I did get something accomplished. Then, I tried to find some beginner yoga on the iPad to do some stretching when I was done, not a good thing. Apparently some people's definition of beginner yoga does not include people with any sort of cushion on the body... haha.

Oh well, life will be good. I know it. (See... told you it was too much for a text.)

2 comments:

  1. holy water leak batman.....you know, as Miss Cleo as this sounds my first though when I got your text this morning about house disaster was "flood". This is probably more due to my childhood memories of water pouring in through my basement bedroom window than any psychic powers I possess.

    what a mess...I'm sorry you are having to deal with this, but I like your attitude about it!!

    i'm not much of a carpenter, but I do put on a kick ass coat of paint if you need some help with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was just a leak.... Ugh! Tom said it was like a fountain and apparently Leah wanted to know why it was raining in the kitchen. Haha.... To be three!

      Delete