Saturday, January 28, 2012

Saturday Run for Six

Today was a beautiful day for six miles outside, I actually had the plan last night on my way home as I was noticing how dry the shoulders of the roads were. So, this morning I skipped the gym, as I said before, Cheryl is in the hospital again after surgery. Cheryl is the gym owner and teacher of the Saturday morning yoga class. She was diagnosed with colon cancer in October, so it has been a long road for her, and it unfortunately resulted him h EF headed back to the hospital for dehydration after her surgery last week. Send a few prayers to her, she is such and inspiration and needs it. So... That is the long story short as to why I hit the pavement today for six miles. I'd post the mileage, but I'm on the iPad and I can't do that fanciness on here...

Well, that I've figured out yet. I figured that six would be easy, I've been working out and doing two, three and four consistently... And I used to do six, seven or eight on a random Saturday like nobody's business. Well, today was a gut-chiecking, humbling six miles. It was not really that good. I started out feeling pretty good, but I had to divert my initial running route, bed ause of snowpack, so I headed out on the rood after one block.

The first mile was slow... 13 minutes and it was just rough. Too much ice and snowpack to really run. I also think that my stride is very off because of all the treadmill running. I just didn't feel like I hit my stride for quite a while. Mile two was uphill and you are not going to believe what is there waiting... None other than a white goat, black goat, large black barking dog, and a goose! What in the world? The whole run was pretty tough actually. I reminds me of how much that I really need to do to get back into shape for the half marathon on May, not to mention the whole Irishman in March! Five miles plus five kilo plus a mile... That's nine miles in one day!

I have some serious work to do in the next six weeks! I am unsure if I am going to drive all the way to Beresford next weekend or not, makes me wonder... It's a lot of gas money to go and not meet up with anybody. Amy will be there... The gal from the Madison race, but I am not sure. I wish it was just to Sioux Falls and it would be easier to decide. speaking of which, I'm going with my Mom and Leah to Sioux Falls tomorrow... A little shopping.. :)

Edit:

I know this is just a vicious excuse, but the weather sure makes it difficult to run. The ice and snow on the roads can make it incredibly unsafe and I just had to go slow. I think the importance is being out there, not necessarily how fast, though. Last summer this happened a lot when I was running to the farm on the back roads. I couldn't get any 'speed' (or whatever people could call it, but nonetheless, speed for me) on the soggy gravel roads, but it still worked out okay in the end. I was still putting in the miles and that is the important point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment