NY Times Fat Trap Article
Okay, so this morning I got up. Late. But! I still was able to go to the gym for 45 minutes. I only did one mile on the dreadmill and abs with weights on the gym ball. I used the blue one today. It has no particular reference to anything, except I usually use the red one. Same color... same size... just blue. Either way, I don't think it accomplished too much, except that I got up, got moving and got ready for my day!
Leah wore the cutest little 'BOO!' orange Halloween pants today with her too-cool teenage-like moccasins so I had to carry her to the car and from the car in the snow... so, it was almost like another workout. Right?!
Anyways, the FAT TRAP article. This whole 'thing' started with running because I wanted to get 'in shape' and the fact that I now have a little girl that is inevitably going to look up to me. What do I want her to see?
I really didn't know my goal or anything, just that it sounded like a good idea. This article talks about the cutting back of calories and a specific product with shakes... It also talks about personal stories that people have went through taking off the weight and putting it back on. Putting on weight that I've lost scares me. I don't want to be 'that person'. Others have been successful at weight loss and not just 'a friend of my cousin', but real people. The "National Weight Control Registry tracks 10,000 people who have lost weight and have kept it off." And although I cannot believe that something like this actually exists, I guess it must as I would consider the New York Times to be credible. So, if 10,000 people can do it... shouldn't I be able to?! Sometimes a little bandwagoning isn't bad...
So, the last part of the article that got me was the stark commentary that it made "to be fat is to be perceived as weak-willed and lazy. It’s also just embarrassing." You know, it is, and I'm not sure I'll have that body that is like a model or a movie star... but, I'm not sure that I want it either. I just don't want to be considered weak-willed! Or Lazy for that matter either! I honestly kind of like it when people say to my husband "Did you know your wife was out on the road running, like, a long ways from town?" or to me "Why would anybody ever want to run all the way to Norden? And BACK?" ... I like to do what is seemingly impossible, impractical or just plain crazy. I thrive on that scary thought... You know the one, the thought that you might not be able to do it or you might need an 'exit strategy' to make it home safe. It used to be hopping a plane to some foreign country without a lot of cash or knowing anybody, just a plan. Running does that for me.
Anyways, I'm not going to let myself be a statistic. Not now. I've put in too much time. I'm not going to get caught in the Arches of the fat trap... because right now... I am okay with being me and exercising actually gives me the confidence in the body that I have right now, today. Even if I'm not losing pounds or inches, I'm gaining confidence by going to the gym and pounding the pavement with my aching knees. So, chill knees... I need this. For me. For Leah. For the me I want to be.

"So, chill knees... I need this. For me. For Leah. For the me I want to be."
ReplyDeleteLove this line!