Sunday, February 19, 2012

So Excited to Pass on a C25K Plan!

This morning Linda got me up and going. I had visited with her yesterday afternoon before we headed out to town and it was great to have a reason to get a moving on a Sunday morning. I had no plan when I headed to the gym this morning. Only to get on the bike for awhile. I did 30 minutes on the bike and stretched, but plan another 4 miles this afternoon when it warms up a bit more.

Linda, on the other hand, kicked some serious butt this morning. She getting jogging on the treadmill and I am so excited to see her do it! She is really doing very well. I sent her 3 different Couch to 5k Plans and although the one is the most realistic, they all show her how far she is already! I think she'll even surprise herself when she starts reading them through! She is kicking some serious buckets!

It really makes me reflect on how far I've come in the past few years. My first 5k was the first weekend in June 2010. I ran it in 40 minutes and 8 seconds. That could hardly be justified as running, but I did it. It was in Clear Lake and one of the other teachers was the coordinator, so it was really a comfortable run. The next was the Hospital Hill Run in Watertown and I did that in 38 minutes and 1 second. I was pretty proud of that run as I felt like I had really accomplished a lot in that time frame. I went down to the Beef and Eggs 5k by myself and ran about a 38 minute 5k there... Next was a run in Brookings on the Fourth of July and then two weeks later a 5k in Spearfish with a time of 36 minutes. I know that I felt a little disappointed with the Spearfish run, but I was at TAR Camp that whole week. In September a group of the Poinsett Pouunders went down to run a 5k in Vermillion for the Susan G. Komen for the Cure. It was just an amazing experience. I ran a 33 minute 11 second 5k that time and it was really invigorating to get to that point. Not to mention, the amazing inspiration from the breast cancer survivors and families! It was amazing! Wow! We also ran into the Dakota Dome, which was totally cool with the pink balloons, banners and everything else! I did a Halloween run that was close to the 33 minute mark in Watertown, but the year ended with only nine 5ks.

I wanted to do 10 5ks in 2010, but the last 5k was on Thanksgiving day in Watertown. It was a horrid day and I skipped it. I completely regretted my decision later on, but it was important for me to get started.

In 2011 I set my sights on running a half marathon. I figured I could do one. So, I signed up for the Brookings Half Marathon the second weekend in May, but there are few other races before that time in South Dakota, so I signed up to do a 5 mile race in Sioux Falls called the St. Patty's Day mile. I did it in about 58 minutes, which was okay for me at the time. That race was March 18th, I think. I completed the Brookings Half Marathon in 2 hours and 38 minutes. I was okay with it, but it was definitely difficult to complete. I was done, but then, I signed up for another. In July I did a 10k around Lake Kampeska, which was supposed to be the Half, but it was hot and I was so glad to not be doing 13.1 that day! WheW!

I did a 15 k in the Cities with my Mom in August and the next weekend the Fishhook Half Marathon in Park Rapids after hanging out with Tom's old college buds. It was great! I did 2 hours and 32 minutes. The next race was in Sioux Falls on Sunday, September 11th- the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the east coast. It was a good day to reflect and think about how far our country as come in a decade. I always get a little teary-eyed when I hear the National Anthem and that day was no different. I thought a lot about the tragedy that happened a decade ago during that 13.1 and how our country has changed... I finished in 2 hours 30 minutes and 36 seconds. That race felt good and I was proud, but really hungry to get under 2:30!

In October I went with my colleague, Amy, to Mankato to run the half and she ran the full. I finished in 2:28:52 and I was pumped! I got under the 2:30! The race felt great and I was so happy with the results! I had some struggles with my left knee and I was really under the impression that my knee was shot, as everybody says running hurts your knees... I luckily found out it was IT Band issues. I am sure that I will continue to struggle with it, but at least I know what it is.

Finally, was Vegas in December and it was the Vegas disaster. I think my time was 2:30 something and I don't even want to consider it a 'time' that was important. It was just the fact that I finished it, especially as I did run over 14 miles that day! (According to my Nike iPod plus anyways!)

So, I've came a long ways in the last two years and I really cannot wait to build on it some more. I feel incredibly lucky to have been given this motivation from somewhere... I don't really know where it all cam from, but I have given a great change to my life. From our family vacation plans built around races to Leah always asking me "How many miles did you run?" after I come in from outside. Running has really changed my life... Thank goodness! And now, I am so lucky to be able to see my friends do some of the same things... Alisha running 5ks, Linda doing some serious moving and shaking, my Mom doing some super speedy 5ks... Soon, doing 5ks with our girls! It is a long road and it is not stopping anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment