Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I think that's it.

I'm excited to say that I think I've resolved to change something. If I can run 13.1 miles and I can plan to run a marathon and complete a mini-triathlon and everything else I think I can do and still be a wife and a mother. Well, then I can find a different career.

Don't get me wrong. I love to teach. I love being around students. I love everything about the classroom itself, but I don't like justifying my existence day in and day out. As I write this, I am now listening to the above inserted YouTube video about ... "There has gotta be something more...gotta be more than this, I need a little less hard time, gotta be a little more bliss... I wanna take my chances..." And, if you have read this the over-arching theme is that there is a desire for something new or that feeling you get not right before you fall-- but, right after you have jumped. I love it. I looked on the SD Jobs website last night and there really isn't a lot that I was qualified to do. Baker, Cook, Designer .... (they were alphabetized)... And, I did find a Nursing Home Administrator position in Lake Norden that I am going to apply for today. I only need a couple of online classes (6) to get a certification added to my Master's Degree. And, they say that they will pay to help with certification, so maybe its an option. "Five years and there's no doubt that I'm burned out..."  I sure have gotten to that point and I understand that I'm taking my chances and may end up flat on my face, pouring drinks or shoveling dung, but I think that "happiness is something we create" is completely and totally true. Besides, I'm good at pouring drinks and shoveling dung. The later might actually help me with that darn tri that Alisha thinks I can do...

But, to be honest, I have no problem if I ended up teaching longer, but I'm tired of the onslaught every legislative session. It just doesn't work for me, especially as I know so many people out in Pierre, I almost feel as though it is a personal attack. When I called last night and they claimed that we need to show more student achievement. Well, lets see, I had a kid score a perfect 36 on his ACT a few years ago- does that mean ALL MY STUDENTS should score a 36 now? Come'on. Be realistic. Have you ever SEEN the Bell Curve? Besides, some of the most intelligent and/or successful people I've ever met didn't get a 30 on their ACTs. Is that justifiable? Really?

Well, there's gotta be something more...

No comments:

Post a Comment