Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Days Are Getting Longer!

Last night I headed out for a run after I got home. Really, I have not been following a schedule, rather making a conscious effort to work more on becoming fit and strong. The day I had yesterday, though, really harkened for the run angels to carry me through a few miles last night. Something interesting happened through my run, though; my brother called me. As I had my iPhone, I thought, sure I'll try this... So, I answered and chatted with him for awhile, as you can see from the pace graph below. I think this i pretty funny, actually, because it did not register my pace during the conversation. I have since changed that portion of the settings so it will continue to do so, though. ha!


Anyways, I got in four decent miles last night and it felt good to get out on the road. I could definitely tell that my work on the 'ball' has been helping me out with my core. It makes me feel a lot stronger and more solid as I run. 
My spits were pretty good, I thought. I really pushed myself for the first mile and that hill just outside of town is definitely a stretch to do strong. It makes the last 100 yards of the first mile very difficult. Luckily, the wind was at my back last night, so I felt very strong the first two miles, even during my conversation with the brother. Mile three was also a lot slower, but I'm not sure why. Mile four felt really quite good and that is when I started to really feel that the push ups, sit ups and planks must be doing some good. I think that keeping at least a run or two a week is important, but I need to focus more on fitness rather than the long run. 

On the Revolution that I watched last night (because I DVR'd it), the trainer actually was DISCOURAGING the revolutioner from running a marathon as the long cardio and run sessions were making the person hungrier than needed. The body is smart. Sometimes we forget that one. It is really important to make sure that we listen to our bodies, though. If our body needs food, we have to give it some. Starvation mode is much worse. I do not pretend to be an expert, but I hope that I can work on fitness and weight loss until March 1 and then do enough long runs to prepare me for the March 17th run in Sioux Falls. I know that my strength will be built up and endurance will be fine, if I keep current pace. 

I still got up this morning and did 30 minutes on the bike, 100 sit ups on the ball with 10 pound dumbells and also some great 30 second plank intervals with push ups. So, Linda already alluded to the fact that we skipped Monday so we'd be down Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. So... get that body in gear! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment