Sunday, December 1, 2013

Getting Back to Running After Baby

So I'm going to try this again and see if I will keep writing. It is going to be a busy few months and maybe this would be a way to try to keep me accountable. As I've posted before, I don't think anybody really reads this, but I will try this again.

While pregnant, I ran as long as I could until my hips hurt too bad and I wasn't going to be able to continue with running. I ran the Brookings Half Marathon in just over three hours while 14 weeks pregnant. I really didn't train like I would normally as for weeks about 6-12 of my pregnancy were riddled with nausea, but it was my third year in a row to run Brookings and I was going to complete it, regardless of time. Not to mention, it was Brookings was my first half marathon in 2011 and it is a bit nostalgic as well. My Mom also ran the race, as you can see in the picture (never mind my poor posture in this image- really don't know how that happened). It was her first time doing the Brookings Half Marathon and she got second in her age division! I'm so proud of her running!


As you can see from our garb, my Mom and I were also members of South Dakota Team Beef last year. It was a great way to support the Beef Industry in South Dakota and promote our love of the rich source of lean protein. Being a country girl from South Dakota, I don't understand vegetarians. I mean, really, how can you not love a grilled steak? mmm... Makes me hungry just thinking about it! 

Below is from my last 5k during my pregnancy- Andy's Road Race in Huron. My Mom and my daughter also participated, making it a three generation day of running! I pushed my little Redbird (in a jogging stroller I purchased used) through the whole 5k and it was about 90 degrees with 90% humidity that morning in Huron. This run is what convinced me to figure out how to purchase a BOB Jogging Stroller instead of the used one. It was a great day, though, because my Mom won her age division (again, this is a recurring theme of our running) and little Redbird was able to run the KidsK and get a free ice cream cone for her running!


Zoom ahead to November and I'm 39 weeks pregnant. We went into the hospital on the morning of November 5th, and baby boy Redbird was born! He was 8 lbs, 5 oz and a very healthy little guy! 


My goal to get back to running will take awhile. Baby Redbird is almost a month old and I have been walking, doing some light yoga poses to stretch, but I have not been given the "okay" to run yet. My appointment with the OB is on Wednesday, so we will see if I can go. Until then, I've been researching plans to get back to running. I know that I cannot just jump right back into 20 mile weeks, so in the next few weeks I'm going to find a Couch to 5k plan and, hopefully, head to Madison for a 5k on January 4th. 

No comments:

Post a Comment